Sunday, February 25, 2007

Geocaching by Kayak

Ever since we moved into the house, I have always been meaning to get out the kayak and paddle up Middle Harbour and the valley that our house looks over. Now that I am into Geocaching, I found that there was a cache right there. So I got the kayak, brushed off the dust and spiders, strapped on the GPS and went for a 8 km paddle. It was lovely, even though I only found 1 of the 2 caches along the way. The second looks like it has been stolen (as the previous 3 people have also not been able to find it.

The photo below is of where I got to. It is where the water stops, right near the cache and the point where our house looks our over.

5 comments:

unique_stephen said...

I shall have to try and find that one. I'm paddling a perception 'dancer' plastic whitewater boat. So I can only manage about 6.2kmph. I'm hoping to have the pocket money for a mirage 580 by xmas

Aunty Monkey said...

I am paddling what would be the Dagger equivalent. Slow, wobbly and zigzags on flat water. Nothing more frustrating that watching the slick sea kayaks shooting by. I figure I am getting a better workout though.

unique_stephen said...

I can put you in a canoe polo bat - very good if you want to learn to roll. I've got the keys to the mac uni boat shed.

Aunty Monkey said...

Blah to polo bats... kayaks are designed for rivers, not swimming pools. Unless you are using polo bats in big surf, then they rock.

unique_stephen said...

I played a few seasons - as a sport it's contrived but very hard core.