Sunday, February 04, 2007

Geocaching


I went geocaching for the first time today. Basically this involves going to geocaching.com and type in your postcode. This brings up a whole list of locations of hidden "caches". Many of them have the coordinates of the location that you can put straight into your GPS. Others have puzzles that you need to work out to get the coordinates. You then take your GPS and start searching the landscape to fine the hidden cache.

I went tramping around the hills and bush in Belrose, with little success. I had 2 caches to find. I got to the location of the first, but couldn't find the actual hidden cache. I fell short of the second because I ran out of steam and the tracks took me the wrong direction.

It is a great excuse for running around in the bush and places that you would not normally think of going.

No comments: