Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Flight 2


Wow...that was a heck of a flight. We just got back from doing 2 tasks... a HWZ (Hesitation Waltz) and a FON (Fly On). We launched from the very wet Twin Ring launch site, in a mass ascention. This was the morning to get used to flying amongst a lot of balloons again. A bit different from flying out in the boonies in Binalong on my end.

The wind on the ground was very light and variable, but kicked into about 45km at 1000 feet. The flight consisted of rocketting down to the south, bombing into valleys to wash off speed and hope to get some kick in the right direction. Unfortunately for the first target the valley I chose gave me right instead of left. This meant I had a real struggle to crawl back to my track. After riding some curl over off one of the hills, I managed to get a slight turn, but not enough. In the end I dropped about 870 metres from the goal. I added about 15 metres will quickly changing my declared FON goal before dropping my marker (which was a very good move).

The second goal was the same sort of story. In the end I ended up 138.4m from the intersection. There were quite a few closer than me, but I think there will also be a lot penalties applied. A number of pilots look liked they landed within 200 metres of there markers. It will be interesting to see how that all comes out in the results.

So what did I learn today? This place is a bugger to fly, but a lot of fun.

Check out the photos.

1 comment:

unique_stephen said...

fantastic photo