Saturday, November 25, 2006

We landed in a canal!


We just landed in a canal. Fortunately it was only 1 cm deep with water, but it was a 2 metre deep drain (about the width of the basket). Once again it was a case of take what you could get when landing today. We had just done 4 tasks and fuel limitations gave us little options before forest. So we (my observer Dottie and I) landed on the edge of a cliff, up against a soft tree and slipped into the canal. We keep the balloon out of the mud, water and off the tree. So basically it was a good chance to wash the mud from yesterday off the bottom of the basket.

The morning (again) had mixed results. It was a PDG, JDG, JDG, FON. I got 3.2 metres on the PDG. About 10-15 metres on the first JDG. The second JDG became unachievable so I got about 1.2km with a lost marker in the forest. Then the final FON I would have got about 2.8km. I think there will be some interesting results for the last 2 tasks. The weather really changed and did not give many options.

Total score wise, we slipped down to 49th position. It was a bit of disappointing result, but not unexpected after yesterday's stuff up.

One more flight to go.

4 comments:

Rabbit said...

I live in the U.S. and would like to thank you for your posts and pictures all of which have been very interesting.
There is little detail on the official site other than the results.

hotair said...

Priceless picture! I love it. Great descriptions too, makes the event come alive. Thanks.

unique_stephen said...

I won't tease about the landing - I'm sure it required all the skill of a worked class pilot to pull off.
Chuckle - landed on the edge of a cliff.

unique_stephen said...

world, I meant world